- Our Vision
2. Our Mission
- To attain a highly proficient mechanism for preventing, mitigating, responding, recovering, securing, monitoring and timely acting positively in order to promote disaster awareness culture within a sector policy framework oriented to management of natural and man-made disasters risks such as volcanic activity, floods, earthquakes, landslides, mudslides, storms, fire, deforestation, landslides, drought,….etc.
- To have a really pro- active refugee policy and good mechanism for handling of Rwandan and Foreign Refugees affairs in respect of Rwandan law and international treaties signed for protection of refugees which permit to develop a comprehensive advance response strategy.
3. Specific Missions
- To take lead in formulation, coordination, control, direction of disasters management, refugee affairs policies, political guidance , supervision of the humanitarian assistance in emergency situations and mobilization of appropriate resources accordingly in order to promote disaster awareness culture and handling timely of Rwandan and foreign refugee affairs and to generate visionary answers to challenges related to the both areas at all levels.
- To participate actively in operational process aimed at boosting disaster management capability for sustainable regional stability and development and to advise the government, stakeholders and other interested partners.
4. Core Functions:
1. CONCEIVE, PROPOSE AND DISSEMINATE POLICIES, STRATEGIES AND PROGRAMS
- Formulate national policies and programs that contribute to good governance and performance in terms of efficiency and effectiveness in the awareness, disaster management and preparedness and refugee affairs.
- Provide standards for harmonization of legal, institutional and policy frameworks and practices for awareness, disaster management and preparedness in the region.
- Develop action plan models for regional all-hazards mitigation and preparedness and Standard Operating Procedures and Guidelines for disaster management and refugee affairs.
2. COORDINATE SECTOR-PROGRAMMES IN COLLABORATION WITH BOTH NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL STAKEHOLDERS
- Coordinate programmers of technical Ministries and other concerned institutions having in their responsibilities disaster awareness, preparedness and refugee affairs.
- Validate all documents produced by other interested stakeholders in the Sector and coordinate all interventions pertaining to the Sector and all regional and international partners in related domains.
- Trigger and alarm all concerned institutions and other partners involved in effective implementation of emergency situation or as preventive option taken by government for managing disasters relief and humanitarian assistance which require specific resources such as equipment’s, human,…etc.
3. MONITOR AND EVALUATE OPERATIONAL PROGRAMS
- Provide all the necessary information through monitoring and evaluation of operational programs system within the agreed upon time frame.
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of activities with a view to ensuring that activities implemented achieve the targeted objectives and that lessons learned can be fed back into the design of new initiatives.
- Provide the retrospective evaluation in order to analyses the Impact of the disaster management and refugee affairs related policies at national and local levels.
4. DEVELOP INSTITUTIONAL CAPACITY AND PUBLIC EDUCATION IN DISASTER SECTOR
- Coordinate and develop the public education and awareness, strategic planning, and implementation oversight of all activities referred to disaster management and refugees affairs through the identified broad areas of support which are geared towards: improved training space, training of trainers, improved training deliver and, improved training equipment.
5. DISASTER FINANCIAL RESOURCES MOBILIZATION
- Plan and conduct jointly coordination of aid negotiations in view of increased levels of foreign financing to meet financing needs
- Manage available funds and propose projects worth financing
- Ensure the set-up of a data base on disbursements from development partners
- Promote and sustain effective Intergovernmental relationships through a dynamic cooperation.